1. Blueberries: these berries contain a lot of phytoflavinoids which protect the body from stress. They also contain antioxidants and are really good to have if there is any inflammation in the body. They also lower the risk of developing heart disease and cancer.
2. Kale: This food contains 4.5 times more vitamin C than spinach. It is an essential vitamin for the production of collagen which is the most abundant protein in the body. It also contains antioxidants which counteract free radicals that cause oxidative stress to the cells. This type of stress is known to be one of the leading causes of aging and cancer.
3. Avocados: these are a great source of vitamins C, E, K, B-6, riboflavin, niacin, folate, potassium, magnesium, beta carotene and omega-3 fatty acids. Don't shy away just because most of the nutrients come from the fat. It is better to have avocado fat instead of other types of fat like that found in animal products.
4. Goji Berries: These berries come from a medicinal plant in China. They are gaining popularity here in the western world. Dried Goji berries are available to us in the supermarkets. They are great for sprinkling on salads of any kind. Containing a significant source of Vitamin C, fiber, iron, zinc and antioxidants these berries are good in small amounts. Avoid taking large amounts of these berries as they can cause Vitamin A toxicity. I would recommend these for people who are diabetic as they help to improve blood sugar levels, alleviate insulin resistance, and repair and recover cells that produce insulin.
5. Green Tea: this tea is known to improve memory, mental clarity and improve mood. One cup a day can produce significant changes.
6. Nuts: Nuts contain lots of good fat, and many vitamins. Walnuts are specifically good for the brain as they come in the shape of a brain. Nature leaves behind clues as to which part of the body certain foods are good for. If you look into my previous post on which foods are good for particular body parts you can find out more about other foods that are not included in this list.
7. Acai: Acai is benefical for brain and heart health. It looks very similar to a blueberry. This fruit is found in South America and has been a popular addition to smoothies, salads and juices. It contains many vitamins and antioxidants.
8. Beetroot: Beetroot is is very good for lowering blood pressure, supporting detoxification and boosting immunity. Beets are also known to help fight cancer, and support well bone and brain health.
9. Sauerkraut: this food is very good or immunity, fighting cancer, and weight loss. It is packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and fiber.
10. Dark Chocolate: is that right? Indeed it is! Dark chocolate is good full of antioxidants and is known to help improve learning and memory. Should be consumed in reasonable amounts.
Seaweed: this food is rich in vitamin C, magnesium, iron, zinc and iodine. Iodine is vital for healthy thyroid function which manages weight, mood and energy levels.